11 Secrets of Establishing Authority
Each of us has something I like to call our “unfair advantage.”
This is the combination of 6 key traits: experience, skill, talent, knowledge, character and connections.
This combination is unique to each person, like a recipe. Just like Coke has a special recipe that gives them a unique advantage, you also have a special recipe.
Learn more about how you can develop your own unfair advantage.
Often we use our unfair advantage to create impact in the world, but we must be aware that in order to create that impact and help others, we need to become known to more people, and be seen as an authority.
Authority is about more than just knowledge. It’s about being a leader in your specific industry and/or niche.
While being a leader and having authority means that people look up to you, it also means that you’re “in demand” and can charge more, allowing you to impact the world in a greater extent.
Over the past 3 years, I’ve been able to go from a nobody in the entrepreneurial world to having an audience of tens of thousands, advising for over a thousand dollars an hour and selling my products to thousands of entrepreneurs. I’m now seen as an absolute authority on business growth and marketing funnels for businesses with under $1 million in revenue.
The interesting thing is, once I realized my own value, it took very little time. Here are 11 of my best suggestions for becoming a trusted authority (and get paid extremely well for it).
- Build an Email List. The very first thing you want to do when building yourself as an authority is to build an email list. It gives you a “microphone” to connect with your audience and be known in front of them. Building an email audience also allows you to capture a renewable asset that you can use to further engage and show yourself as an authority.
- Start a Facebook Group or Linkedin Group. By starting a Facebook group around a specific niche or sector, you automatically become the authority in that specific world as it builds. You’re able to interact with your perfect audience, and typically the most engaged among that audience. It worked extremely well with our own groups and has allowed us to share amazing value with thousands of entrepreneurs.
- Write and Publish a Book on Amazon. In October 2014, I decided to write and publish a book called Connections that Count, which was published on January 27, 2015. It sold over 5,000 copies in total and has ended up in the hands of over 15,000 people so far. While the content is no longer related to what I do on a day to day basis, at the time it created immense value and authority and cost less than a thousand dollars to have published. It ended up hitting #1 in the US and Canada fairly easily.
- Create a Valuable Product or Service. Becoming an authority is fine, however, it’s very difficult to do if you aren’t selling something valuable that allows for a transformation in someone’s life. Becoming an authority is the result of a great deal of time and effort. Being an authority without a product typically results in a great audience, and near zero income. Remember that the whole point of being an authority with an audience is so that you can impact those who mean the most to you and your mission.
- Host and / or be Featured on Podcasts. After being interviewed on 50+ podcasts such as Mixergy and Entrepreneur on Fire, I can say that it’s not difficult to get featured if you approach it the right way. Being interviewed on a podcast allows you to have a very high perceived value, both to their audience and any audience that you push a podcast in front of. Hosting a podcast also allows you to connect with other authorities easily and quickly. In 2014 and 2015, we launched two #1 podcasts. This allowed us, not only to be seen as authorities in our industry but also to meet some amazing people as well.
- Become a Connector. Believe it or not, I’m an introvert, so this doesn’t come naturally to me. I connected with 3 “sets” of people at least 3 times a week. It’s easy and simple and allows you to easily connect the right people. If you want more on this, you should connect with John Corcoran (his website is here), he is a master connector and has taught me a lot for someone who doesn’t “connect” in my natural environment.
- Join and Attend Masterminds. Some of my best connections have come from Masterminds. These sessions aren’t cheap but they allow you to easily connect with others and be seen as an authority in your marketplace. The entire idea is not only for you to learn A LOT, but even further, it’s about being able to be around other like minded individuals that are just like you. Not only are the opportunities endless, but the majority of the people you’ll find at these Masterminds will want to support and elevate you and your mission.
- Invite People to Group Dinners. This simple activity helped me generate hundreds of thousands of dollars and introduced me to hundreds of influential people. You can easily use one person to connect to another giving you instant implied authority. People see you as an influencer, which grants authority almost by default. The easiest way to implement this idea is by downloading my book, Connections that Count.
- Start Publishing and Promoting Articles. There is a lot of content out there, however, the majority of it isn’t written by industry experts but rather writers. This is where you have an advantage, to have a unique, truly authoritative tone. Once you start writing, use the Facebook Advertising Network to get in front of your audience (learn more about Facebook advertising here). This allows you to get exposure for extremely low cost and gets you material in front of your audience along with helping to build your audience, following and email list. 25% of our revenue comes from those seeing our articles and then actioning either a purchase or becoming part of our subscriber base.
- Start Hosting Webinars on your Topic. Hosting webinars in your specific niche / sector is a low-cost option for becoming an authority in a marketplace. It sets you up as an authority because you are essentially holding a keynote presentation. This method also allows you to pitch your services and products to a “captive” audience in an easy and effective medium. Here’s an amazing resource that I put together on webinars.
- Partner with Others at Your Level. By partnering with others with whom you have a synergy, you can share an audience, allowing you to both increase your authority together. This is effective for audience and authority building as well as for generating revenue. This is a simple means of being able to both grow your audience, your following and your authority all at the same time and one of the easiest methods to use.
It’s important to understand that we are seen as an authority when we expose our unfair advantage to the world. We don’t necessarily have to be the best in the world, we simply need to tap into our unique set of traits, especially in relation to our specific sector or niche and then leverage that impact.
In the end, the easiest and most natural way to make it happen is to discover and attract your perfect audience, and then be your own unique self, add that with a little dash of focus and you have a winning strategy.
It’s not difficult to become an authority, you simply have to say “yes” to elevating yourself and helping others.